Vermont Certified Personal Trainers
Are you looking for a career that will allow for improved fitness, flexible scheduling and opportunities for independence? Do you enjoy testing the limits of your body with new fitness programs? Do your friends and family come to you for advice on how to run their next marathon, climb Vermont’s many mountains or just improve their overall fitness? If so, a career as a certified personal trainer might be for you.
Certified personal trainers are coaches, motivators and nutrition experts. They know exactly how to design and implement a program to help their clients reach their goals and work through their fears. A career as a certified personal trainer means reaping the reward of watching others succeed, with your help and advice.
Certified Personal Trainer Requirements in Vermont
In Vermont, certified personal trainers are not required to be licensed. Licensure is only required for those who seek advanced education as athletic trainers. To become certified, you must seek an appropriate accrediting organization, like one of the following:
- American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM) offers certifications as a Personal Trainer, Group Exercise Instructor, Exercise Physiologist or Clinical Exercise Physiologist.
- National Academy of Sports Medicine (NASM) offers certification as a Personal Trainer Group Fitness Instructor or Nutrition Coach.
- American Council on Exercise (ACE) offers certification as a Personal Trainer, Group Fitness Instructor, Health Coach and Medical Expertise Specialist.
- National Strength and Conditioning Association (NSCA) offers certification as a Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist, Certified Personal Trainer, Tactical Strength and Conditioning Facilitator or Certified Special Population Specialist.
- National Federation of Personal Trainers (NFPT) offers certification as a Personal Trainer as well as opportunities for ongoing continuing education.
Each program has its own set of prerequisites, generally including a high school diploma and often Basic Life Support training through the American Heart Association. Programs will usually require ongoing continuing education to keep your certification up to date.
Certified Personal Trainer Programs in Vermont
Many programs exist at universities throughout Vermont to prepare students for a career as a trainer. Some possibilities include:
- University of Vermont in Burlington offers courses entitled Personal Training Coach and Group Fitness Instructor, which are designed to prepare those wishing to pursue certification.
- Castleton University in Castleton offers a Bachelor of Science in Kinesiology. The program also offers a three-plus-two program for a Master of Athletic Training.
- Northern Vermont University in Johnson offers a Bachelor of Science in Exercise Science.
Job Growth Projections and Salary Expectations
Data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics show an annual mean income of $46,240 in 2018, with a mean hourly income of $22.23, for fitness trainers and aerobics instructors in Vermont. Certified personal trainers typically earn more than the average for this field.
In 2016, the state employed 1,160 in this career category with a projected 1,230 to be employed by 2026 for a growth rate of 6 percent. This is lower than the national projected growth rate of 10 percent, but an estimated 1,810 new jobs will open each year for fitness trainers and aerobics instructors throughout the state.
Career Opportunities in Vermont
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the highest concentration of fitness trainers and aerobics instructors are employed in fitness and recreational sports centers. One of the most appealing aspects of this career for many is the ability to work independently, enjoy flexible scheduling and seek self-employment. Personal trainers who would like to seek such an opportunity might choose to work freelance or even open a fitness center.
In Vermont, potential employers include POWDR, Snap Fitness, Planet Fitness World Headquarters, T2B fitness athletics, Planet Fitness, Curves, Nautilus Plus and Holiday Inn Club Vacations.