New Mexico Certified Personal Trainer Programs
Certified personal trainers work with those wishing to make improvements in health and fitness, by providing training plans, technical training and motivation. Those interested in a career as a certified personal trainer should possess a good knowledge of health and fitness, strong interpersonal skills, an abundance of patience and a willingness to work odd hours. If you want to help others reach their personal health and fitness goals, this career might be a good fit for you.
Requirements for Personal Trainers in New Mexico
Certification as a personal trainer requires a high school diploma or GED and a comfortable knowledge of health and fitness techniques. Several options exist for obtaining certification:
- American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM) offers certifications as a Personal Trainer, Group Exercise Instructor, Exercise Physiologist or Clinical Exercise Physiologist.
- National Academy of Sports Medicine offers certification as a Personal Trainer Group Fitness Instructor or Nutrition Coach.
- American Council on Exercise (ACE) offers certification as a Personal Trainer, Group Fitness Instructor, Health Coach and Medical Expertise Specialist
- National Strength and Conditioning Association (NSCA) offers certification as a Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist, Certified Personal Trainer, Tactical Strength and Conditioning Facilitator or Certified Special Population Specialist
- National Federation of Personal Trainers offers certification as a Personal Trainer as well as opportunities for ongoing continuing education.
Training Programs for Certified Personal Trainers in New Mexico
There are several programs in New Mexico suitable for those interested in pursuing a career as a certified personal trainer. A few of these include:
- Santa Fe Community College in Santa Fe offers an Associate in Applied Science in Exercise Science. Students will learn the basics of exercise science, behavior modification, weight management and nutrition to help clients achieve their goals as well as learn to administer and interpret health screenings and fitness assessments. Program attendees will also have the opportunity to obtain the following certificates: Fitness Instructor Training Certificate and Nutrition Certificate.
- Central New Mexico Community College in Albuquerque offers a Certificate of Completion in Fitness. Students will gain knowledge and competency in physiology, kinesiology, nutrition, fitness assessment, exercise prescription and the necessary business aspects of fitness training.
- Clovis Community College in Clovis offers a Certificate of Completion in Exercise Specialist as well as an Associate of Science (A.S.) in Health and Physical Education. Students in the certificate program will take courses in Human Anatomy and Physiology, History and Concepts in Physical Education, Personal Health, First Aid and CPR and Weight Training. Those in the A.S. program will take additional courses, including general education requirements along with the following: Personal Health, Social Dance, Pedagogy and Nutrition.
Job Growth Outlook and Salary Expectations
The Bureau of Labor Statistics data from 2018 show an annual mean salary of $39.010 for fitness trainers and aerobics instructors, with an hourly mean wage of $18.75.
In 2016, a total of 1,560 people were employed in this field, with a projected 1,670 working as fitness trainers by 2026 for a growth rate of 19 percent, which compares favorably to the national job growth projection of 10 percent for this occupation.
Opportunities and Employment for Personal Trainers in New Mexico
Career opportunities for fitness trainers and aerobics instructors are highest in recreation industries, followed by civic and social industries, schools and then local governments, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. While many certified personal trainers are employed in fitness centers, there is also opportunity for those who are more independent to offer their services freelance, or possibly open their own fitness centers.
In New Mexico, potential employers include SAIC, the City of Las Cruces, Wellbridge, Planet Fitness, Chuze Fitness, University of New Mexico, Crunch and New Mexico Sports and Wellness.