Becoming a Certified Personal Trainer in HawaiiHave you ever considered becoming a certified personal trainer? These professional trainers work primarily in gyms and fitness centers, assisting people who want to improve their health and fitness levels. Those considering this career choice should possess good interpersonal skills and a lot of patience. Personal trainers often serve as coaches, motivators and educators. They may also need good customer service and sales skills, to promote and sell the programs and services offered by their company or employer.
Requirements for Certified Personal Trainers in HawaiiCertified personal trainers require a high school diploma or GED equivalent at minimum for most training programs. There are several choices of programs for pursuing certification, each with its own set of prerequisites, up to and including a master’s degree for at least one certification. Possible programs to consider include:
- American Council on Exercise (ACE) offers certification as a Personal Trainer, Group Fitness Instructor, Health Coach and Medical Expertise Specialist.
- National Strength and Conditioning Association (NSCA) offers certification as a Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist, Certified Personal Trainer, Tactical Strength and Conditioning Facilitator or Certified Special Population Specialist.
- National Academy of Sports Medicine offers certification as a Personal Trainer Group Fitness Instructor or Nutrition Coach.
- National Federation of Personal Trainers offers certification as a Personal Trainer as well as opportunities for ongoing continuing education.
- American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM) offers certifications as a Personal Trainer, Group Exercise Instructor, Exercise Physiologist or Clinical Exercise Physiologist.
Certified Personal Trainer Programs in HawaiiTwo colleges in Hawaii offer programs suitable for those wishing to pursue a career as a certified personal trainer or obtain a more advanced certification.
- University of Hawaii at Manoa offers a Bachelor of Science in Kinesiology and Rehabilitation Science. The program focuses on health and exercise-related science to provide students with knowledge of their own state of wellness and their ability to influence it, a skill they can bring to client interactions.
- Brigham Young University(BYU) in Laie offers a Bachelor of Science in Exercise and Sport Science. Students will build on a base of general science courses with intensive courses in sports physiology, psychology and exercise sciences.